Today, I had my first meeting with the business councillor, at my local Small Business Centre, for some advice and guidance on starting up a business. It was helpful. Luckily, this service is totally free and I can seek their help as and when required. So, I have booked in a second session to motivate myself to make some progress with my ideas for discussion in the next meeting.
The UK Budget does not sound too good….as expected income tax to go up for the comfortably rich (GBP100K+) but it does not hurt the super rich since they have already left the country. There will be an exodus. I would not mind living in the French Riviera/ Monaco…not that far only 2 hours commune to London via air. I wonder do MPs actually pay income tax on their expense claims that supplement their annual salary to over GBP100K+? People do not mind paying high taxes if the tax payers’ money is spent wisely and the services offered are of reasonable standards and value for money…in this case they are sub-standard. Hence, the tax payers are not happy Mr. Brown!
I have just finished re-reading a book by George Turner, published in 1987, titled The Sea and Summer. I found the book gathering dust at my parents’ house during Easter …I first read it when I was a fresh face Uni undergraduate …it did not make an impression on me then…since the subject matter did not feel real then. But now it is pretty scary stuff…as summarised from the back cover of the book “In the 21st Century poor nations sink in accumulated debt and the great nations can no longer support them. Industry embraces automation to cut costs, so unemployment rises until few can afford more than necessities. Population rises inexorably, but who dares risk the psychological backlash of childless generations? And over the planet the Greenhouse Effect makes chaos of weather and food production. The story is set in drowning Melbourne. Society is more deeply split than ever before into Haves and Have-nots; and the story, involving totally real people in a totally convincing setting, is fast, often violent, often moving, always gripping…” Does it sound familiar? Something for us to think about….it is worth reading really!
Sorry to end with a sombre note at least it is another beautiful sunny day in London.
Your thoughts on the book for those of you who are brave enough to read it!
No comments:
Post a Comment